Wednesday, August 31, 2005

tit for tat: Debate about Vanguard

Well me and Aggro decided to put up two differnt points of veiw and debate about Vanguard. I took the defensive side and he was taking the devils advocate side... Muhahah, well this is a little bit of the article.

The Advanced Encounter System For innovation they have one wonderful Idea the Advanced Encounter System (AES) which I will only touch on a bit. It's a better (IMHO) way of not instancing but feeling like your work won’t be KSed from you in the end. There are several ways they will go about it but for one example: Say you get a straw-hat looted in a certain place, you wear this hat and talk to a NPC and your actions start an Encounter. Others can see you and join to help you as you would any XP pick up group but, all the mobs and or what you have to do can either be spelled out for what you are to do, or it can be puzzled and vague. This helps with immersion because you don’t feel locked away from a world and all the garbage I believe that instancing brings along with it. Yeah, I've heard about the Advanced Encounter System. I don't know. EQII has some zones that are instanced, but most are still normal zones. I guess the AES system is trying to take the best features of both. I don't really get it. If you are going to have your own mobs and own quest, does it really matter that someone other group is in the same dungeon as you? It's just window dressing really. And it makes me think that the same dungeons will be used over and over for different purposes. The problem isn’t that it's window dressing but at any point of grouping someone can drop out. Yeah now there are cross zone invites and it helps for getting pick up's in your group. However it's a time waster and when you don’t want to waste anymore time then you have to, wouldn’t it be conducive to say hey there are LFG's here. Also, there have been times that I wasn’t invited into a raid or event but I could still go watch. When I was level 25 I went to go watch a Naggy raid instead of just reading about it and looking through pictures. Also when you read about these DKP governed guilds you realize this will benefit them greatly. Wouldn’t it be great to not have those that can’t participate but still want DKP's at least get to watch? How fun is it to stay outside an instance to gain DKP? Granted this only pertains to a small amount of guilds though it is still an advantage over instancing. Personally it's a feeling/immersion thing, I like to feel like I'm in a world not a closet which is what instances evoke.

This is my stance on Vanguard and what I belive might change instancing as we know it. you can go here to see the whole debate ... Then tell us what you think here on the board or on aggro's sight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home